October 26 is the 299th day of the year (300th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 66 days remaining.
- 740 - An earthquake strikes Constantinople, causing much damage and death.
- 1640 - The Treaty of Ripon is signed, restoring peace between Scotland and Charles I of England
- 1795 - The French Directory, a five-man revolutionary government, is created
- 1863 - The Football Association is formed
- 1881 - The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral takes place at Tombstone, Arizona
- 1905 - Norway becomes independent from Sweden
- 1917 - Battle of Caporetto: Italy suffers a catastrophic defeat at the hands of Germany and Austria during the First World War
- 1918 - Erich von Ludendorff, quartermaster-general of the Imperial German Army, is dismissed by Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany for refusing to cooperate in peace negotiations.
- 1944 - The Battle of Leyte Gulf ends.
- 1944 - Vice president Harry Truman publicly denies ever having a member of the Ku Klux Klan.
- 1947 - The Maharaja of Kashmir agrees to allow his kingdom to join India
- 1948 - Killer smog settles into Donora, Pennsylvania.
- 1955 - Ngo Dinh Diem declares himself Premier of South Vietnam
- 1965 - The Beatles are appointed Members of the Order of the British Empire (MBEs)
- 1976 - Transkei declares its "independence" from South Africa
- 1978 - Independent Counsel Act signed into law
- 1979 - Park Chung-hee, President of South Korea is assassinated by KCIA head Kim Jae-kyu. Choi Kyu-ha becomes the acting President; Kim is executed the following May.
- 1984 - "Baby Fae" receives a heart transplant from a baboon
- 1984 - John D. McCollum shoots and kills himself after spending a day listening to Ozzy Osbourne records; a lawsuit is later filed by his parents over the song "Suicide Solution", but the case eventually gets thrown out.
1985 - In the movie Back to the Future, scientist Dr. Emmett Brown breaks the time barrier in Hill Valley, California.
- 1673 - Dimitrie Cantemir, Moldavien, writer, domnitor (d. 1723)
- 1685 - Domenico Scarlatti, Italian composer (d. 1757)
- 1759 - Georges Jacques Danton, leader of the French Revolution (d. 1794)
- 1854 - C. W. Post, cereal entrepreneur (d. 1914)
- 1865 - Benjamin Guggenheim, businessman, went down on Titanic (d. 1912)
- 1873 - Thorvald Stauning, Prime Minister of Denmark (d. 1942)
- 1874 - Martin Lowry, British chemist (d. 1936)
- 1883 - Paul Pilgrim, American athlete (d. 1958)
- 1902 - Jack Sharkey, boxing champion (d. 1994)
- 1906 - Primo Carnera, boxing champion (d. 1967)
- 1911 - Mahalia Jackson, gospel singer (d. 1972)
- 1911 - Sid Gilman, American football player, coach, manager (d. 2003)
- 1911 - Sorley MacLean, Scots Gaelic poet (d. 1996)
- 1912 - Don Siegel, American director (d. 1991)
- 1914 - Jackie Coogan, actor (d. 1984)
- 1916 - François Mitterrand, French president (d. 1996)
- 1919 - Mohammad Reza Pahlavi of Iran, shah of Iran (d. 1980)
- 1932 - Eidegenegen Eidagaruwo, first Angam Baby
- 1942 - Bob Hoskins, actor
- 1945 - Pat Conroy, novelist
- 1946 - Pat Sajak, game show host
- 1947 - Jaclyn Smith, actress
- 1947 - Hillary Rodham Clinton, wife of former President of the United States, Senator from New York
- 1947 - Holly Woodlawn, actor
- 1951 - Bootsy Collins, American musician (P Funk)
- 1953 - Keith Strickland, drummer (The B-52's)
- 1954 - D.W. Moffett, actor
- 1958 - Rita Wilson, actress
- 1961 - Dylan McDermott, actor (The Practice)
- 1962 - Cary Elwes, British actor
- 1963 - Natalie Merchant, singer
- 1440 - Gilles de Rais, serial killer
- 1764 - William Hogarth, British painter
- 1806 - John Graves Simcoe, first lieutenant-governor of Upper Canada
- 1902 - Elizabeth Cady Stanton, feminist, suffragette
- 1909 - Prince Hirobumi Ito, former Japanese governor of Korea (assassinated)
- 1931 - Charles Comiskey, baseball owner
- 1947 - Canon Edwin Sidney Savage, Rector of Hexham Abbey and St Bartholomew the Great
- 1952 - Hattie McDaniel, American singer
- 1972 - Igor Sikorsky, helicopter pioneer
- 1979 - Park Chung-hee, President of South Korea
- 1986 - Jackson Scholz, American sprinter
- 1991 - Bill Graham, rock and roll entrepreneur
- 1995 - Gorni Kramer, Italian bandleader and songwriter
- 1999 - Hoyt Axton, musician
- 2002 - Jacques Massu, French general
October 25 - October 27 - November 26 - September 26 - more historical anniversaries
eo:26-a de oktobro
es:26 de octubre
pt:26 de Outubro