January 6 is the 6th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar. There are 359 days remaining (360 in leap years).
- 871 - Alfred of England defeats the Danes in the Battle of Ashdown
- 1066 - Harold Godwinson crowned King of England
- 1205 - Philip of Swabia becomes King of the Romans
- 1540 - King Henry VIII of England marries Anne of Cleves.
- 1661 - The fifth monarchy men unsuccessfully attempt to seize control of London.
- 1690 - Joseph, son of Emperor Leopold I becomes King of the Romans
- 1720 - The Committee of Inquiry on the South Sea Bubble publishes its findings
- 1838 - Samuel Morse first successfully tested the electrical telegraph.
- 1870 - The inauguration of the Musikverein (Vienna).
- 1900 - It is reported that millions are starving in India.
- 1900 - Boers attack Ladysmith - over 1000 people killed
- 1907 - Maria Montessori opens her first school and daycare center for working class children in Rome.
- 1912 - New Mexico is admitted as the 47th U.S. state.
- 1930 - The first diesel-engine automobile trip is completed (Indianapolis, Indiana, to New York City).
- 1929 - King Alexander of Yugoslavia suspends his country's constitution (the so-called January 6th Dictatorship, Šestojanuarska diktatura.)
- 1931 - Thomas Edison submits his last patent application.
- 1936 - Supreme Court of the United States rules the 1933 Agricultural Adjustment Act unconstitutional in the case United States v. Butler et al.; Porky Pig premieres
- 1940 - Mass execution of Poles, committed by Germans in the city of Poznan, Warthegau.
- 1941 - Franklin Delano Roosevelt delivers his Four Freedoms Speech in the State of the Union Address.
- 1942 - Pan American Airlines becomes the first commercial airline to have a flight go around the world.
- 1946 - William Joyce (Lord Haw-Haw) hanged for treason
- 1950 - The United Kingdom recognizes the People's Republic of China. The Republic of China severs diplomatic relations with Britain in response.
- 1967 - United States Marine Corps and ARVN troops launch "Operation Deckhouse Five" in the Mekong River delta.
- 1973 - Schoolhouse Rock premieres
- 1975 - The American soap opera Another World becomes the first daytime drama to air hour-long regularly scheduled episodes.
- 1982 - William Bonin convicted of being the "freeway killer".
- 1992 - The United Nations Security Council votes unanimously condemning Israel's treatment of Palestinians.
- 1994 - Nancy Kerrigan is clubbed on the right leg by an assailant under orders from figure skating rival Tonya Harding.
- 1995 - A chemical in an apartment complex in Manila, Philippines leads to the discovery of plans for Project Bojinka, a mass-terrorist attack.
- 1998 - The Lunar Prospector spacecraft is launched into orbit around the moon and later found evidence for frozen water on the moon's surface.
- 1999 - Bob Newhart receives a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- 2001 - Al Gore, as President of the U.S. Senate, tallies the electoral votes and certifies George W. Bush as the winner of U.S. presidential election, 2000.
- 1367 - King Richard II of England (d. 1400)
- 1412 - Joan of Arc, Roman Catholic saint (d. 1431)
- 1587 - Gaspar de Guzman, Count of Olivares, Duke of San Lucar (d. 1645)
- 1787 - Gaspard Théodore Ignace de la Fontaine, luxembourgish polititian.
- 1822 - Heinrich Schliemann, archaeologist (d. 1890)
- 1832 - Gustave Doré, painter and sculptor (d. 1883)
- 1838 - Max Bruch, composer (d. 1920)
- 1872 - Alexander Scriabin, composer (d. 1915)
- 1878 - Carl Sandburg, poet, historian (d. 1967)
- 1880 - Tom Mix, actor (d. 1940)
- 1881 - Sam Rayburn, Speaker of the United States House of Representatives (d. 1961)
- 1882 - Fan S. Noli, Albanian bishop, poet and political figure (d. 1965)
- 1883 - Khalil Gibran, poet, painter, novelist (d. 1931)
- 1898 - James Fitzmaurice, Irish aviation pioneer (d. 1965)
- 1902 - Max Güde, attorney (d. 1984)
- 1913 - Loretta Young, actress (d. 2000)
- 1914 - Danny Thomas, singer, actor, comedian (d. 1991)
- 1920 - Early Wynn, Baseball Hall of Famer
- 1920 - Sun Myung Moon, evangelist
- 1921 - Louis Harris, pollster
- 1923 - Jacobo Timerman, writer (d. 1999)
- 1924 - Earl Scruggs, bluegrass performer
- 1925 - John De Lorean, auto maker
- 1931 - E. L. Doctorow, author
- 1931 - Capucine, actress (d. 1990)
- 1933 - Emil Steinberger, cabaretist
- 1933 - Oleg_Makarov, cosmonaut (d. 2003)
- 1943 - Terry Venables, football (soccer) manager
- 1944 - Bonnie Franklin, actress
- 1946 - Syd Barrett, guitarist and singer
- 1951 - Kim Wilson, rock musician
- 1953 - Malcolm Young, guitarist
- 1954 - Anthony Minghella, director
- 1955 - Rowan Atkinson, comedian, actor
- 1957 - Nancy Lopez, golfer
- 1959 - Kathy Sledge, singer
- 1960 - Nigella Lawson, celebrity chef, writer
- 1960 - Howie Long, American football star
- 1964 - Henry Maske, German world champion boxer
- 1966 - Fernando Carrillo, Venezuelan actor
- 1968 - John Singleton, director and writer
- 1970 - Julie Chen, television presenter and newsreader; Big Brother host
- 1976 - Danny Pintauro, actor
- 1840 - Fanny Burney, novelist and diarist (b. 1752)
- 1852 - Louis Braille, teacher, developed writing system for the blind (b. 1809)
- 1918 - Georg Cantor, German mathematician (b. 1845)
- 1919 - Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States (b. 1858)
- 1928 - Alvin Kraenzlein, American athlete
- 1937 - Brother Andre, Canadian religious figure (b. 1845)
- 1942 - Henri de Baillet-Latour, Belgian IOC president
- 1949 - Victor Fleming, director (b. 1883)
- 1981 - A.J. Cronin, writer (b. 1896)
- 1993 - Rudolf Nureyev, Russian ballet dancer (b. 1938)
- 1993 - Dizzy Gillespie, American jazz trumpeter (b. 1917)
- 2000 - Don Martin, cartoonist (b. 1931)
- 2004 - Charles Dumas, American high jumper
Holidays and observances
January 5 - January 7 - December 6 - February 6 -- listing of all days
ast:6 de xineru
ca:6 de gener
es:6 de enero
eo:6-a de januaro
ia:6 de januario
oc:6 de genièr
pt:6 de Janeiro
wa:6 di djanvî