January 29 is the 29th day of the year in the Gregorian Calendar. There are 336 days remaining, (337 in leap years).
- 1676 - Feodor III becomes Tsar of Russia.
- 1845 - The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe is published for the first time (New York Evening Mirror).
- 1850 - Henry Clay introduces the Compromise of 1850 to the United States Congress.
- 1856 - Queen Victoria institutes the Victoria Cross.
- 1861 - Kansas is admitted as the 34th U.S. state.
- 1886 - Karl Benz patents the first successful gasoline-driven automobile.
- 1891 - Liliuokalani proclaimed Queen of Hawaii.
- 1900 - The American League is organized in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with 8 founding teams.
- 1916 - World War I: Paris is bombed by German zeppelins for the first time.
- 1929 - Seeing Eye Dog organization is formed.
- 1933 - President of Germany Paul von Hindenburg appoints Adolf Hitler as Chancellor of Germany.
- 1936 - First inductees into the Baseball Hall of Fame are announced .
- 1944 - Battleship Missouri is launched.
- 1944 - Battle of Cisterna in central Italy.
- 1963 - First inductees into the Football Hall of Fame are announced.
- 1964 - 1964 Winter Olympic Games open in Innsbruck, Austria.
- 1958 - Police capture Charles Starkweather in Wyoming.
- 1966 - The first of 608 performances of Sweet Charity opens at the Palace Theatre in New York City.
- 1990 - The trial of the former skipper of the Exxon Valdez, Joseph Hazelwood, begins in Anchorage, Alaska. He is accused of negligence that resulted in America's worst oil spill.
- 1995 - Super Bowl XXIX: The San Francisco 49ers defeat the San Diego Chargers 49-26 and become the first NFL team to win five Super Bowl titles.
- 1996 - President Jacques Chirac announces a "definitive end" to French nuclear testing.
- 1996 - La Fenice, the opera house of Venice, Italy, is destroyed by fire.
- 1996 - First release of Duke Nukem 3D
- 1998 - In Birmingham, Alabama a bomb explodes at an abortion clinic killing one and severely wounding another. Serial bomber Eric Robert Rudolph is suspected as the culprit.
- 2001 - Thousands of student protesters in Indonesia storm parliament and demand that President Abdurrahman Wahid resign due to alleged involvement in corruption scandals.
- 2004 - A whale explodes in in the town of Tainan, which is situated in Taiwan. A build-up of gas in the decomposing 56-foot long Sperm whale is what is claimed to have caused the explosion.
- 1688 - Emanuel Swedenborg, naturalist and theosophist (d. 1772)
- 1717 - Jeffrey Amherst, British Military leader (d. 1797)
- 1737 - Thomas Paine, patriot, radical, pamphleteer (d. 1809)
- 1749 - King Christian VII of Denmark (d. 1808)
- 1843 - William McKinley, 25th President of the United States (d. 1901
- 1860 - Anton Chekhov, playwright and short story writer (d. 1904)
- 1862 - Frederick Delius, composer (d. 1934)
- 1866 - Romain Rolland, dramatist, winner of Nobel Prize in Literature in 1915 (d. 1944)
- 1874 - John D. Rockefeller Jr., entrepreneur (d. 1960)
- 1876 - Havergal Brian, composer (d. 1972)
- 1880 - W.C. Fields, actor (d. 1946)
- 1880 - Douglas MacArthur, US army general
- 1885 - Leadbelly, musician (d. 1949)
- 1898 - Angel Ortíz de Villajos Cano, Spanish musician and composer
- 1901 - Allen Du Mont, television pioneer
- 1905 - Barnett Newman, painter (d. 1970)
- 1911 - Peter von Siemens, industrialist (d. 1986)
- 1913 - Peter von Zahn, journalist and writer
- 1915 - Victor Mature, actor (d. 1999)
- 1917 - John Raitt, actor, singer
- 1918 - John Forsythe, actor
- 1923 - Paddy Chayefsky, writer (d. 1981)
- 1923 - Ivo Robic, singer and songwriter - Croatia, Mister Morgen, (d 2000)
- 1924 - Luigi Nono, composer (d. 1990)
- 1926 - Franco Cerri, Italian jazzman
- 1927 - Edward Abbey, environmentalist (d. 1989)
- 1939 - Germaine Greer, writer, feminist
- 1945 - Tom Selleck, actor (Magnum, P.I.)
- 1947 - Linda B. Buck, scientist
- 1950 - Jody Scheckter, South Africa racing driver
- 1954 - Oprah Winfrey, actress, talk show host, producer, publisher
- 1960 - Greg Louganis, Olympics gold medalist in diving
- 1965 - Dominik Hasek, NHL goalie
- 1968 - Edward Burns, actor
- 1970 - Heather Graham, actress
- 1970 - Sean Scullion, activist & author
- 1970 - Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, shooter
- 1971 - Alan McManus, Scottish snooker player
- 1973 - Jason Schmidt, Major League Baseball All-Star
- 1975 - Sara Gilbert, actress
- 1979 - Andrea Spinks, glamour model
- 1980 - Daniele Zanoni, musician
- 1981 - Jonny Lang, musician
- 1987 - Matthew Wettach, swiss supermodel
- 1990 - Jessica D. Stone, actress
- 1119 - Pope Gelasius II
- 1743 - Cardinal André-Hercule de Fleury, Bishop of Fréjus, chief minister of France under Louis XV (b. 1653)
- 1820 - King George III of the United Kingdom (b. 1738)
- 1837 - Aleksandr Pushkin, Russian poet (b. 1799)
- 1906 - King Christian IX of Denmark (b. 1818)
- 1928 - Douglas Haig, British soldier (b. 1861)
- 1933 - Sara Teasdale, poet (b. 1884)
- 1946 - Harry Hopkins, politician
- 1956 - H. L. Mencken, journalist
- 1963 - Robert Frost, poet (b. 1874)
- 1964 - Alan Ladd, actor
- 1969 - Allen Dulles, Director of the CIA (b. 1893)
- 1977 - Freddie Prinze, actor, comedian (b. 1954)
- 1980 - Jimmy Durante, actor, singer, comedian, vaudevillian (b. 1893)
- 1991 - Yasushi Inoue, historian
- 1992 - Willie Dixon, composer, musician (b. 1915)
- 1994 - Ulrike Maier, alpine skiing world champion, in a downhill skiing accident (b. 1967)
- 1999 - Lili St. Cyr, exotic dancer (b. 1918)
- 2002 - Daniel Pearl, journalist (one possible date) (b. 1963)
- 2002 - Harold Russell, actor
- 2003 - Frank Moss, U.S. Senator from Utah (b. 1911)
Holidays and observances
January 28 - January 30 - December 29 - February 29 -- listing of all days
ca:29 de gener
es:29 de enero
eo:29-a de januaro
oc:29 de geničr
pt:29 de Janeiro
wa:29 di djanvî