January 14 is the 14th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 351 days remaining (352 in leap years). Celebrated as New Year's Day by those still following the Julian calendar.
- 1301 - Andrew III dies, ending the Arpad dynasty in Hungary.
- 1639 - Connecticut's first constitution, the "Fundamental Orders," is adopted.
- 1690 - The clarinet is invented in Nuremberg, Germany.
- 1724 - King Philip V of Spain abdicates the throne.
- 1784 - American Revolutionary War: The United States ratifies a peace treaty with England.
- 1814 - Denmark cedes Norway to Sweden.
- 1858 - Napoleon III of France escapes an assassination attempt.
- 1900 - Giacomo Puccini's opera Tosca premieres in Rome.
- 1907 - An earthquake in Kingston, Jamaica kills more than 1,000.
- 1939 - Norway claims Queen Maud Land in Antarctica.
- 1943 - Franklin D. Roosevelt becomes the first President of the United States to travel via airplane while in office (Miami, Florida to Morocco to meet with Winston Churchill to discuss World War II).
- 1951 - The National Football League has its first Pro Bowl Game (Los Angeles, California).
- 1952 - The Today show premieres on NBC.
- 1954 - The Hudson Motor Car Company merges with Nash-Kelvinator forming the American Motors Corporation. Marilyn Monroe weds Joe DiMaggio.
- 1963 - George Wallace becomes governor of Alabama.
- 1969 - An explosion aboard the USS Enterprise near Hawaii kills 25.
- 1970 - Sato Eisaku is elected to his third term as Prime Minister of Japan.
- 1972 - Queen Margaret II of Denmark's accession to the throne.
- 1972 - Sanford & Son premieres on NBC.
- 1973 - Super Bowl VII: The Miami Dolphins defeat the Washington Redskins. The Dolphins become the first NFL team to go undefeated in a season.
- 1975 - Teenage heiress Lesley Whittle is kidnapped by the Black Panther.
- 1978 - Johnny Rotten quits the Sex Pistols after the final show of their American tour, at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco.
- 1984 - Ray Mancini defeats Bobby Chacon by a knockout in three to retain his WBA boxing world Lightweight title in Reno.
- 1985 - Martina Navratilova wins her 100th tennis tournament.
- 1990 - The Simpsons debuts on FOX as a regular series with the episode "Bart the Genius".
- 1993 - David Letterman announces he was moving his television talk show from NBC to CBS.
- 1994 - President of the United States Bill Clinton and Russian President Boris Yeltsin sign the Kremlin accords which stop the preprogrammed aiming of nuclear missiles to targets and also provide for the dismantling of the nuclear arsenal in the Ukraine.
- 1996 - Jorge Sampaio is elected president of Portugal.
- 1998 - Researchers in Dallas, Texas present findings about an enzyme that slows aging and cell death (apoptosis).
- 1998 - An Afghan cargo plane crashes into a mountain in southwest Pakistan killing more than 50 people
- 2000 - A United Nations tribunal sentences five Bosnian Croats to up to 25 years for the 1993 killing of over 100 Muslims in a Bosnian village.
- 2004 - Amartya Sen steps down as Master of Trinity College, Cambridge.
- 2004 - The national flag of Georgia, the so-called "five cross flag", was restored to official use after a hiatus of some 500 years.
- 1741 - Benedict Arnold (General in United States' Revolutionary War, turncoat) (d. 1801)
- 1798 - Johan Rudolf Thorbecke, Dutch politician (d. 1872)
- 1800 - Ludwig Alois Ferdinand Köchel, Austrian researcher on music (d. 1877)
- 1836 - Henri Fantin-Latour, painter (d. 1904)
- 1841 - Berthe Morisot, Impressionist Painter (d. 1895)
- 1861 - Mehmed VI, future Ottoman sultan (d. 1926)
- 1866?- G. I. Gurdjieff, Greek-Armenian mystic and teacher of dancing. He stated that he was born at the stroke of midnight at the beginning of New Year's Day, Julian calendar (d. 1949)
- 1875 - Albert Schweitzer, Alsatian physician, Christian missionary, philosopher, and musician, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 1952 (d. 1965)
- 1886 - Hugh Lofting, author (d. 1947)
- 1889 - Ema Puksec AKA Ilma de MurskaCroatian opera singer (b. 1834)
- 1892 - Hal Roach, film producer (d. 1992)
- 1896 - Martin Niemöller, German theologian and pacifist (d. 1984)
- 1896 - John Dos Passos, author (d. 1970)
- 1904 - Emily Hahn, novelist, travel author, bon vivant (d. 1997)
- 1905 - Cecil Beaton, photographer (d. 1980)
- 1906 - William Bendix, actor (d. 1964)
- 1908 - Rus Columbo, singer, bandleader, composer
- 1912 - Rudolf Hagelstange, German lyricist, narrator and essayist (d. 1984)
- 1914 - Harold Russell, actor (d. 2002)
- 1915 - Mark Goodson, game show producer (d. 1992)
- 1919 - Andy Rooney, television journalist
- 1925 - Yukio Mishima, writer (d. 1970)
- 1926 - Tom Tryon, actor, novelist (d. 1991)
- 1931 - Caterina Valente, singer, actress
- 1933 - Stan Brakhage, filmmaker (d. 2003)
- 1938 - Jack Jones, singer, actor
- 1940 - Julian Bond, civil rights activist (cofounder of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, chairman of NAACP board of directors)
- 1941 - Faye Dunaway, actress
- 1941 - Milan Kučan, Slovene politician, statesman
- 1942 - Stig Engström, actor
- 1947 - Bill Werbeniuk, Canadian snooker player (d. 2003)
- 1948 - Carl Weathers, actor
- 1948 - T-Bone Burnett, producer, musician
- 1949 - Lawrence Kasdan, director, screenwriter
- 1962 - Michael McCaul, American politician
- 1963 - Steven Soderbergh, director
- 1967 - Emily Watson, actress
- 1968 - LL Cool J, rapper, actor (Toys, In Too Deep, Any Given Sunday)
- 1969 - Jason Bateman, actor
- 1969 - David Grohl, drummer, composer
- 1980 - Cory Gibbs, American soccer player
- 1825 - George Dance the Younger, architect (b. 1741)
- 1898 - Lewis Carroll, writer, mathematician (b. 1832)
- 1949 - Joaquín Turina, composer (b. 1882)
- 1957 - Humphrey Bogart, actor (b. 1899)
- 1965 - Jeanette MacDonald, actress, singer
- 1966 - Barry Fitzgerald, actor (b. 1888)
- 1966 - Bill Carr, American athlete
- 1970 - William Feller, Croatian mathematician (b. 1906)
- 1972 - King Frederick IX of Denmark (b. 1899)
- 1977 - Peter Finch, actor (b. 1916)
- 1977 - Anaïs Nin, author (b. 1903)
- 1977 - Anthony Eden, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (b. 1897)
- 1978 - Kurt Gödel, mathematician (b. 1906)
- 1978 - Harold Abrahams, British athlete (b. 1899)
- 1986 - Donna Reed, actress (b. 1921)
- 1988 - Georgi Malenkov, First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Soviet Communist Party
- 1999 - Bryn Jones (a.k.a. Muslimgauze), musician (b. 1961)
Holidays and observances
January 14 is observed as Makar Sankranti in India. The event is marked by flying kites.
January 13 - January 15 - December 14 - February 14 -- listing of all days
ca:14 de gener
es:14 de enero
eo:14-a de januaro
oc:14 de genièr
pt:14 de Janeiro